Wednesday 30 June 2010

One portrait a day...

OK, I have decided to step right out of my comfort zone and have challenged myself to a new project. I am still working on finishing up the last few bits of The Art of Photography, and am also working on People & Places, but personal projects have been lacking lately (apart from photographing my son which gets a lot of time dedicated to it!). I have decided to attempt to take one portrait every day. I won't limit myself to a new person every day, and don't know how long I'll do this project for, but one of my main challenges with people photography is having the guts to talk to people and pose them. The best way to overcome this is mileage, i.e. taking loads of photos of people. So my aim is to photograph one person every day and semi-regularly post them here on my blog.

Initially I'm starting close to home (very close...). Self-portraiture is a challenge because you can't look through the viewfinder and frame the shot, you can't see what the photo will look like and you need to do everything yourself. The easy bit is that you don't need to pose someone else and if you look like an idiot then it doesn't matter!! I am inspired by loads of female self-portraiture artists... particularly Francesca Woodman who is a favourite, and I quite like the work of Gabriela Herman, Heather Evans Smith, and also a fellow OCA students work I discovered recently, Penny Watson.

Self-portraits are introspective (or can be), and can be very honest and open – thus are a challenge to do well. I am starting with a simple shot using a handheld camera and large aperture and hope that my photos are vaguely focussed but not worrying about a bit of handheld induced blur. In fact, I have tried to blur a few of the photos on purpose (Woodman-inspired). Below I post the first attempt in this project, which is sure to be a massive challenge for me... Please comment to help me with my challenge!

From Portrait_Project


I think the lighting is not ideal, a catchlight in the eye would have been better, but the shallow DOF and bokeh outside of the main face area is effective. A good starting point?

3 comments:

  1. I think this is an excellent Selina, and what a great challenge. I have never overcome my self consciousness is photographing people, I wish you success and look forward to seeing some results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about self portraiture since we chatted about it during our get together (seems a long time ago now). I am finding this more and more complex the more I have thought about it and so I haven't felt ready to pick the camera up in this regard yet.

    I agree that Penny does some great shots and that one of her on the chair with just the book is brilliant.

    For your shot above I don't think it captures you as I would perceive you but then perhaps it need not, its more about how you want to be percieved. I find the eyes dark and the expression a little too deadpan for me. I don't think a catchlight is essential but could be used to provide more information on you and your environment, i.e. could be a window frame shape or could be a flash brolley, all depends what visual clues you want to give the viewer about you and your immediate environment.

    The one portrait a day target may be tough, I have seen several blogs along these lines and people don't seem to keep it up for long, perhaps one a week may prove more accommodating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill & Duncan, thanks for your comments. Jill - never to late to learn!! Duncan - I think I wanted to really look _into_ the camera for this shot, and thus have avoided too much expression. Also it's difficult to smile at a camera when it's just you and the camera there - another challenge of self-portraiture! I'm aiming for 1 a day but certainly I'll see how I go!!

    ReplyDelete