Thursday 1 July 2010

Exercise 9: A comfortable situation

According the the notes in my study guide, the aim of this section (People Unaware) is to have the “confidence and skills to tackle street photography … without being conspicuous while still being able to make effective compositions with good timing” hmm... somewhat of a bit challenge I think! Nonetheless, I'll have a go.

I chose for this project to take photographs while on a recent holiday in Northumberland. We were staying in a cottage right next to Hadrians Wall, and went for a few walks along it. One day I took my camera along and aimed it at the other walkers/holiday makers. It was easy to take photos of the scenery, but I found it quite challenging to take shots of the people there. Most of my photos are actually backs of heads/people, which is not terribly interesting to look at! I think I gradually improved over the morning, but never felt very comfortable.

I used the lens I normally have on my camera – 24 to 70mm, which is roughly equivalent to 35 to100mm full frame. In the chosen 12 photos I have used most of this range except the widest angles. The subjects are generally quite small in the photos, but this is partly a factor of the environment. Given that the area is quite large (ie the wall is long, and there is a large area to walk in), it meant that although busy with people, they were generally spread out. This meant that I couldn't get really close to people without it seeming strange (and very obvious!). At least one pair of people noticed I was taking their photo (no. 3), but it didn't seem to matter.

It was fun to undertake this project, and I found I did slowly get more comfortable throughout the morning. I am moderately happy with the photos, and my favourite is number 10.


Photo 1.

From Exercise_9

Photo 2.

From Exercise_9

Photo 3.

From Exercise_9

Photo 4.

From Exercise_9

Photo 5.

From Exercise_9

Photo 6.

From Exercise_9

Photo 7.

From Exercise_9

Photo 8.

From Exercise_9

Photo 9.

From Exercise_9

Photo 10.

From Exercise_9

Photo 11.

From Exercise_9

Photo 12.

From Exercise_9


Note to self: Next time I will use multi-shoot on the camera – that way if the person's expression improves I can capture a few photos in sequence more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment