Wednesday 7 July 2010

Exercise 10: Movement & Gesture

I spent Saturday morning photographing the Edinburgh Farmers Market and the characters there. I played with different lenses (for the next few exercise), and also managed to capture a variety of movement and gesture photos.

I took a series of photos of the Falko stand (our favourite German bakery), and saw a woman who looked like a bit of a character, so took about 15 photos of her (using a telephoto, so I was not noticed). I have chosen 5 which show interesting facial expressions and gestures. I quite like the last photo as it puts everything into a bit more context by including arms of a customer and the seller exchanging money in the foreground.

From Exercise_10


From Exercise_10


From Exercise_10


From Exercise_10


From Exercise_10



I also photographed one of the entertainers on the stage, she was easy to photograph because she stayed in one place, had a variety of facial expressions and I could just stand back and take photos. She was singing and playing guitar, and I think a couple of the photos are reasonable. However because she was singing her mouth looked a bit strange in a few shots. I find this a challenge when photographing people talking/singing etc, however in this case it gives her a fun variety of expressions!! I have included 5 photos of her below.

From Exercise_10


From Exercise_10


From Exercise_10


From Exercise_10


From Exercise_10



I found using the telephoto lens good for capturing gesture & movement, as it enabled me to stand at a distance and take repeated photos of the same person/people. This is not so easy with the wider angle lenses. Taking repeated photos of people means you are more likely to be noticed, so this is something to take into account. I got more comfortable taking photos throughout the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment