Monday 8 December 2008

Project 4: shutter speeds

Freezing and blurring motion using different shutter speeds (fixed scene). I used the water flowing over rocks example because I found a nice location where this was occurring and it seemed like a good opportunity. I took 7 photos with varying shutter speeds and corresponding apertures. I used a tripod so all the photos have the same framing. I like how the water becomes gradually more blurred and silky looking. As the shutter speeds get longer, the aperture stops down and more of the photo is in focus which frames the silky water nicely.

Photo 1:
50mm, 1/25sec, f/1.8, ISO 100, Tripod

Photo 2:
50mm, 1/15sec, f/2.2, ISO 100, Tripod

Photo 3:
50mm, 1/8sec, f/3.2, ISO 100, Tripod

Photo 4:
50mm, 1/4sec, f/4.5, ISO 100, Tripod

Photo 5:
50mm, 1sec, f/8, ISO 100, Tripod

Photo 6:
50mm, 3sec, f/14, ISO 100, Tripod

Photo 7:
50mm, 6sec, f/22, ISO 100, Tripod

In summary, the first photo (Photo 1)(1/25sec) almost froze the water but some still looks slightly blurred. If there had been more light available (or I could have increased my ISO) then I would have used a faster shutter speed than that to completely freeze the water movement. I really like the final photo (Photo 7) because the water looks silky and the foreground and background are both nicely in focus and frame the image. Again, like the previous projects, it was good to consider one scene and see different ways of looking at it, depending on what style of photo I wanted to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment