Thursday 18 December 2008

Project 11: Balance

Analysis of some recently taken photos looking at balance of the dominant parts of the image. I have chosen 6 photos taken over the last few months to consider how balanced each photo is. I can't really draw sketches in this blog, so I'll just make a few notes on each photo.

Photo 1: Croatian Graffiti Girl. Not totally balanced, the darker graffiti does balance with the lighter colour (and larger) shutters, but there is a bit too much space at the bottom of the photo.
21mm, 1/10sec, f/7.1, ISO 200, tripod

Photo 2: Croatia Sunset. This photo is balanced in terms of light and dark, but because the dark is 'heavier' feeling, it doesn't totally feel balanced.
35mm, 1/40sec, f/11, ISO 200

Photo 3: Dublin Ducks. Symmetry top/bottom and left/right gives good balance to this photo. However I think there is a 'dead' spot in the middle of the photo.
57mm, 1/125sec, f/4.5, ISO 400

Photo 4: Cairo City Mosque. Good balance between the small minaret (dark) in the background with the larger font in the foreground. It is quite a balanced photo, but might benefit from some cropping.
24mm, 1/250sec f/8, ISO 200

Photo 5: Isle of Wight Needles. I'm not sure if this photo is balanced or not! I feel like there is balance, but that it comes from tension between the linear cliffs/beach with the linear islands. Not sure!!!
63mm, 1/80sec, f/8, ISO 400

Photo 6: Wheel and Scott Monument. The two elements in this photo appear quite balanced, they are similar size and hold similar weight. The only unusual thing about this photo is the orientation of the balance, namely diagonally across the frame.
24mm, 1/100sec, f/11, ISO 400

This short project was fun. It was interesting to look back at some recent photos and see if i could see balance, and then to analyse the balance. I'm discovering that these projects are good for analysing my photos, but the real challenge is putting it into practice! Anybody else finding this same issue??

1 comment:

  1. Hey Selina,

    Thanks for the comments on my blog. Nice pics above - I especially like the Cairo mosque picture. Hope your work on assignment one is going well, I am pretty much finished with mine and have just posted the first draft on my blog. Am hoping to send it off to my tutor sometime this weekend.

    I know what you mean though - am now constantly on the look out for suitable pictures. It is addictive but fun. Pete

    ReplyDelete