Monday 8 December 2008

Project 6: Fitting the frame to the subject

I attempted this project a couple of times but had difficulty finding appropriate subjects, and have decided on a small boat located on the edge of a frozen loch in the Scottish Cairngorms. It was very cold, as you'll see from the photos, so I didn't really spend as much time as perhaps I should on the photos, but hopefully the ideas are there and when I'm a bit warmer I'll try to take my time more.

Photo 1: Taken as a quick snapshot, to set the scene. I actually really like this photo, it has a nice leading line through the frame to the boat.
50mm, 1/60sec, f/10, ISO 100

Photo 2: This photo was meant to be a close cropping photo, only showing the subject. Unfortunately this means it's a bit boring, just a photo of a boat, without any more information. Perhaps I could have tried a different angle? I did crouch down to get a bit lower angle, and it was way too cold to go into the water!!
50mm, 1/60sec, f/7.1, ISO 100

Photo 3: This photo is a detailed one to show some aspect of the subject. I chose the cross-seats in the boat - I thought the colours were nice and it was a bit abstract. As a photo it really only works in conjunction with the other shots I think.
50mm, 1/60sec, f/7.1, ISO 100

Photo 4: The last photo was meant to put the subject in its surroundings. I chose to look low along the beach covered with ice and looking towards the shore on the far side of the loch. I possibly could have included a bit more of the snow-covered beach, but I only thought of that later. I like that you can see the blue inside of the boat that I photographed in Photo 3.
50mm, 1/60sec, f/8, ISO 100

Summary - this was a challenge to find an interesting subject that would be good to photo at different scales. I'm going to keep my eyes looking for other subjects like this and possibly repeat this project again later.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Selina! I'm just a bit behind you on TAoP, and I'm enjoying looking at the way you interpret the projects. This boat's a great choice of subject, and I especially like the first shot, with the swirls in the mud. Emma :)

    ReplyDelete