Tuesday 15 February 2011

Study of a Yoga Studio

For 'People & Place' I went to photograph at the Yoga Studio I studied at in Edinburgh, called 'The Yoga Room' (link here). I took a series of portraits of Rowena doing her yoga practice, and also took a kind of a portrait of the studio itself. It consists of 3 main areas - the lovely, light filled yoga studio itself, the changing areas/bathrooms, and the entrance area for sitting and relaxing before & after class.

I feel like I have managed reasonably well to capture the essence of the studio in this set of photos. I found over exposing the photos slightly helped to capture the light airy feel of the studio, and I really enjoyed capturing some shadowy images - I was very lucky on the day of the shoot to have a bright sunny day. If I was still in Edinbugh it would be great to go back in winter and photograph the studio as it changes a lot; Rowena puts up fairy lights and obviously it is much darker outside when we are practicing.

First, the entrance area:

From Yoga_Room


From Yoga_Room


Next, the main studio area:

From Yoga_Room


From Yoga_Room


From Yoga_Room


From Yoga_Room


And finally the bathroom/change area:

From Yoga_Room


From Yoga_Room


From Yoga_Room


It was interesting to take photos of this room which is quite familiar to me, and also now (more than 6 months later) to look back and still 'feel' the essence of the lovely practice area. I hope you also can get this feeling from my set of photographs.

Thankyou to Rowena for letting me take these photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment