Tuesday 1 February 2011

Floods and Cyclones

I thought I was coping fine after the floods until the next wave of distaster to strike Queensland reared its ugly head over the last few days. We were fine in the end during the floods, but it was a highly traumatic and stressful experience expecting our house to be flooded potentially up to the upper storey. What were the things I wanted to save? Photos, hard drives and jewellery. Obviously we were looking after our personal safety first, but photos were the first thing on my list of irreplacable objects. Even my beloved camera could be replaced and so was not on the list of things to be taken out of the house in the case of the extreme flooding which was expected early on. Natural disasters happen to 'other people', not to us. Particularly after we'd only just moved into our new house a month previously. Hard to comprehend, even now 3 weeks after the event. We won't be affected by the mammoth cyclone here in Brisbane, but it makes me realise just how vulnerable we all are, having survived one natural disaster already. What have I learnt? Keep living life as full as possible, something we already do quite well, and always have a hard drive of photos ready to take out of the house if the need arises!

From Flooding

No comments:

Post a Comment