Monday 20 April 2009

Project 20: Horizontal & Vertical lines

I have been searching for horizontal & vertical lines for a little while now and have drawn together my small collection. I was to 'try to subordinate the content of the picture to the line', i.e. to make the line the first thing the viewer sees. I have gone with B&W shots again to help this, but it's still quite difficult.

Horizontal Photo 1: This photo was taken looking vertically (almost) up at a funky modern building in Amsterdam. By looking at such a steep angle the building is compressed (even with a fairly wide angle) and the horizontal lines are drawn together, enhancing each other.
38mm, f/9, 1/250sec, ISO 400, very windy day!

Horizontal Photo 2: This photo was taken the same day, of a modern bridge in Amsterdam. The slats on the bridge are very linear.
24mm, f/5, 1/1250sec, ISO 400

Horizontal Photo 3: This was taken on a beautiful spring day in the Borders, I was focussing on the linear nature of the water/ground boundary.
45mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO 200

Horizontal Photo 4: This photo was taken in the Lakes District, here I am focussing on the walls and the trees have a nice softening effect on the lines. I like the sheep in the field beyond too.
70mm, f/9.5, 1/250sec, ISO 400

Vertical Photo 1: This photo is taken near the meadows in Edinburgh, crouched down low on the bike path/ walkway. I like the long linear nature of the white line and lights beyond and just needed to wait for the cyclist to enter the frame at the right place.
24mm, f/5, 1/4sec, ISO 400, Tripod

Vertical Photo 2: This photo was taken in Amsterdam, just some interesting balconies or something similar on the side of an apartment building. I like the vertical nature of them. I thought about removing the diagonal fire-escape stairs on the left side but thought they balanced the photo and didn't take away from the strong vertical nature of the shot.
70mm, f/4.5, 1/250sec, ISO 200

Vertical Photo 3: This photo taken in Amsterdam had nice vertical windows and coloured bricks which added to the vertical feel. The two trees in the foreground give this image some depth and added interest (and verticallity).
35mm, f/13, 1/400sec, ISO 400

Vertical Photo 4: This photo taken in the Lakes District is a simple path with some stepping stones in a roughly vertical format. It is quite a simple image and is similar in nature to the 1st vertical photo but much more subtle.
17mm, f/5.6, 1/180sec, ISO 400

I find it interesting that the 4 horizontal shots were all landscape orientation, and my 4 vertical shots were all portrait in orientation. I should have tried to break this mould... so here I have very quickly cropped two photos to see how they look in the other orientation.

Horizontal Photo 4 (alternative crop): I think this still works quite well and does still have quite a strong horizontal feel to it.

Vertical Photo 3 (alternative crop): I don't feel this photo works as well in this format.

Once I started looking I did find it easier to see horizontal & vertical lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment