Tuesday 14 April 2009

Project 17: Positioning a point

This project is similar to Project 7, but now we needed to find 3 points and position them carefully in the frame, with reason behind the placement. I decided to shoot in b&w as I found I was easily drawn to colour accent instead of points that stand out due to their form.

Photo 1: A plastic bag floating in water. In the b&w the ripples stand out strongly and the plastic bag is subtle but pale (a bit ghostly), but still stands out as a point. I looked at the direction of the ripples and placed the bag so that it can 'move' across the frame following the direction that the wind appears to be going in.70mm, f/9, 1/250sec, ISO400


Photo 2: Lamb in the field. Here the lamb seems all alone and everything appears still. I have placed it top left because it is looking towards the lower rhs of the frame, and there is a big open grassy space there. The grass on the left of the frame seems to either detract or help fill in the space, I'm not yet decided. The b&w works well here because the white lamb stands out so well against the slightly darker green grass. 100mm, f/4.5, 1/250sec, ISO200


Photo 3: I decided to use the classic 'boat on water' photo taken at Ullswater in the Lakes District. Here the boat is brilliant white (sails) and the background mottled greys, which means it stands out well. There is approximately equal amounts of sky and water, balanced by the hills in between. The boat is in the lower 1/3 of the frame and is moving towards the open space on the right of the photo. 42mm, f/13, 1/60sec, ISO200


Now I had to compare these with others in my photo library and think about the graphic relationship. Having one point in a photo makes for a relatively uniteresting photo. There is little dynamism apart from perhaps some interest between the point and the background. The sense of movement I feel is related to what might be happenning in the photo - where the wind is blowing, the lamb is looking and the boat is moving. Drawing lines through the point does help to break up the frame, but this seems to be quite loose with just one point, however it will be stronger with multiple points.

2 comments:

  1. I think the photo of the boat is the most successful of these. For the lamb I would have opted for a position in the lower part of the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of these in their simplicity. The first one is strange though - looks like a ghost swan!

    ReplyDelete