Wednesday 15 April 2009

Project 16: Points

Firstly, I had to think about situations that would result in a single point in the frame... here are some ideas...
  • boat against water (the most obvious?)
  • balloon in the sky
  • moon & sky
  • torch against a dark background (not sure how this would work)
  • round hay-bale against a field
  • bird flying
  • rock/shoe/ball/object on the beach
  • bright tent on subdued hillside (colour accent not point?)
  • cow in a large field
  • an island in the ocean (from above)
  • one flower on a bush/tree
  • one skiier on a slope

Secondly, to choose photos in my photo library which have a single point, whether mine or from a magazine or something. Due to possible copyright issues I'll only put my photos up here, and I have a few more from magazines in my paper (b)log...

Here are some examples which I meant to post before Project 17, but didn't get around to it! I have chosen to do this series of projects in black and white to avoid having colour influence my feelings about the design elements.

The first photo of a bird against the sky is just off centre.

The hole in the ice is a negative type point, and it is quite off-centre, because of the snow filling the other portion of the frame to create a balance. And I just noticed the implied line caused by the hole in the ice, with the two blobs lower-middle and lower-right, which parallels nicely with the snow line on the ice.

The tomato (from my Assignment) has a nice strong point where the stalk would join, it is fairly strongly off centre, and almost forms a golden section spiral?

The telemark skiier with the moguls is a small point in the frame, horizontally centred but vertically well offset to the left.

The house is placed strongly lower-left and the rest of the frame filled with the snow-covered mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment