Tuesday 18 November 2008

Starting a new course

Well I decided to try out a course at OCA to improve my photography, instead of just taking random photos and trying to make them look good in post-processing. Reading books has helped, but I thought the course guide for 'the art of photography' sounded interesting and would help guide me to a more robust photographic process which I can apply to both my film and digital work.

According to the online guide, The course helps students to:
• visualise and select images and translate them into photographs
• make successful use of composition, exposure, lighting and other forms of image control
• analyse and apply the conveying of information through visual means
• develop observational skills through a wide range of projects.

So hopefully it will be useful and interesting. I'll keep this blog up to date as part of my journal for the course, so please feel free to comment etc if you want to.

Just as an introduction, I'm an Australian who currently resides in Edinburgh, Scotland. I've been an amateur photographer for about 8 years on and off, and have been shooting with a digial SLR (Canon 30D) for the last 3 or so years. I use the GIMP (free photo editing software) for all my post-processing work on the computer. Earlier this year I did a B&W film developing and printing course so I also shoot medium format B&W with my Bronica ETRSi.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Selina! I'm doing TAoP too...actually I see you've found my blog already!! Anyway, welcome to the course. I've almost got my set together for the first assignment and am totally neglected "real world" commitments in favour of obsessive photo taking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Selina, welcome to TAoP. I'm pretty new to the course as well and am currently working through the second chapter projects and starting pull some ideas together for Assignment 1. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on your blog and comparing notes seeing as we have pretty much started at the same time.

    Happy snapping

    ReplyDelete