Tuesday 25 November 2008

Project 1: Focal Length and Angle of View

The first project seemed simple enough, but I wanted to choose an interesting subject, one that will provide good photos for the 3 different focal lengths. Given the short daylight hours (and inclement weather!) at the moment this was a challenge. I decided to go to the Canal in Edinburgh today as the sun was shining. I found a spot with an interesting building and some autumn foliage which I thought would provide good subjects for the 3 different focal lengths.

I started with the 50mm, which on my camera is equivalent to 80mm, and tried to choose an interesting composition. This is the lens I use the most, so I'm quite comfortable with it.
50mm, 1/100sec, f/16, ISO 200

Next I put on my wide angle lens, with 17mm equivalent to 35mm.
17mm, 1/100sec, f/13, ISO 200

And finally my 200mm, equivalent to a massive 320mm!! I found it hard to handhold (it might have been sunny but it was windy) as I didn't have my tripod with me. I must take it with me next time I'm using this lens.
200mm, 1/250, f/11, ISO 200

It was great to go out and just take a few photos with a very specific purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment