Thursday 27 October 2011

Colour level 1

I have enrolled in a short photography course based at the Brisbane College of Photography, entitled Colour Level 1. I wanted to get to grips with my flash mostly, having had some challenges using it in anything other than automatic, and thought that this course, conveniently located a 10min cycle from home, would assist me. If I enjoy it I may go back for more advanced modules.

The second class (the first I could attend) was interesting. I obviously have picked up quite a bit of photographic knowledge in the last few years as I was one of the more knowledgeable (or at least more vocal!) in the class, able to answer many questions. It consolidated a few points for me though, and I thought I would use this blog to continue my photographic learning documentation, and I'll post my assignment work here too.

We covered many points without going into too much detail:


  • Slow sync + rear curtain flash - suggested for use with children (I will try this out with my little one)
  • BULB - when to use and how to calculate exposures (its all mathematics, you just need a known quantity and you can determine your shutter open time from there)
  • Partial metering might be a better option than centre weighted or spot
  • Talked about the dynamic range that a camera can cope with (5 to 6 stops), and what we can do to limit the dynamic range in a photograph (use fill flash, use a graduated neutral density filter or use a reflector to light dark areas).
  • Controlling the highlights is the most important thing (not possible to get back later)


We chatted about lots of other things too. I'm looking forward to next weeks class, and have an assignment to complete in the mean time. As much as I enjoy studying with the OCA I like the idea of attending a class and talking photography with other students face to face (particularly since I'm on the other side of the world to most OCA students!)

2 comments:

  1. I do know what you mean about meeting up with real people. I've been on a few actual courses to complement my OCA work and they are always very rewarding.

    As you are interested in flash you might find this blog http://neilvn.com/tangents/
    helpful. It covers many points related to social shooting, in situations when you can't set up a whole studio. Neil is very knowledgeable and generous. I find this a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elieen, thanks for your comments and link. I will definitely check it out. Hopefully the course covers enough flash stuff to get my confidence up and then I just need to find the time to do the experimentation!!

    ReplyDelete