Friday 7 October 2011

Assignment 5: People and Place, on Assignment

I have taken photos for Assignment 5. A good opportunity came up in the form of the annual BOGI Fair (Brisbane Organic Growers Association). Being interested in organic gardening, I joined the club recently and heard about the fair. I decided to set myself the task of photographing it and making a short photo essay, perhaps for the clubs monthly magazine. The fair was held last weekend, and I went along on Saturday afternoon to meet the organising committee and take some photos of them setting up for the fair. I then went back on Sunday to photograph the stalls being set up, the punters arriving, the busy cafe, the vegetable growing competition and resulting auction, and the tidy up at the end of the day. It was a busy and tiring day for me and quite challenging photographically. I was the official 'BOGI' photographer for the day which helped when people were asking what I was doing and I found it often broke the ice when chatting to people, then stepping back to take their photo and then thank them afterwards. The light conditions were very challenging and definately made me realise the limitations of my (now getting a bit old!) Canon 30D in terms of low light / high ISO and resultant noise.

My brief that I set myself was to prepare a short photo essay (perhaps 12 to 15 photos) for the December BOGI magazine.  In addition I was asked to take one photo that says BOGI Fair... not sure it that is actually achievable but I will take a look through the photos! And they would also like a slideshow of photos for the December meeting. This means a large number of photos that I am happy to show which is not what I initially had in mind. So my first aim will be the photo essay and then I will try to process enough images to have a short (probably 100 photo) slideshow. It's been a great experience taking the photos and now I just need to spend the time working on them and trying to get rid of some noise in the worst images.

Here is one example of the fair, taken on Sunday morning.

f/4, 1/90, ISO 640, 35mm, flash with diffuser

2 comments:

  1. Hi Selina...it sounds like you've had a very positive day out and well done on nearing completion of your course. I get frustrated with my camera...mine too is severely limited in low light conditions. I've got a canon 450d but love so much about it so don't feel inclined to replace it!! I have got a speedlight flash that does make a massive difference to what I can do with it but obviously it changes the look of image. Best of luck. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, thanks for your comments. I feel the same about my camera, I love the photos it takes and I'm so used to it now so I'm very hestitant to replace it. I used my flash constantly on the day but with a big diffuser on it which avoided the harsh light look. I've found the denoise feature in my software so will be using that on my noisy images :)

    ReplyDelete