Thursday 8 September 2011

Exercise 18: How space changes with light

The aim of this exercise was to understand better how important good light is to a successful photograph. I have seen this before during my TAOP studies, but this time the exercise is more directed towards _space_ and perhaps buildings to a lesser extent. I undertook this exercise while I was working on Assignment 3 Buildings in Use so there is some overlap between the two.

I have chosen two locations for this exercise, one is an overpass near my place of work.  I have photographed in full sunlight during the middle of the day where strong shadows are seen cutting across the overpass and captured a cyclist - he looks almost sandwiched between the roof and strongly patterned floor. All the lines converge and add to this image.

From Exercise_18

I chose a different angle for the second photograph, choosing this because of the lovely sky behind. The very low angle of view and framing of the star-like structure in front of the cloud and directly over the cyclist works very effectively in this image. A little motion blur does not detract from the image. I underexposed by a full stop to keep the slightly dark feel of the photo in keeping with the time of day.

From Exercise_18

For the second location I have used the bridge that I am including in Assignment 3, half built as part of Brisbane's Airlink project. The changes in light I saw at this location were very dramatic and reminiscent of the light in Scotland (though much warmer of course :). I was out taking photos making use of the slightly overcast day, and was not terribly happy with the results (see first image). Then suddenly the sun broke through the clouds and there was brilliant light on my subject and the contrast between it and the dark clouds and blue sky was so dramatic it was amazing. These two photos are taken in basically the same location but very strongly show the difference between average light and excellent light. Worth waiting for.

From Exercise_18
From Exercise_18

OK so I continue to learn the value of good light whenever I am lucky enough to encounter it... Unfortunately I don't always have the time (... and patience) to wait for good light and need to just get the shots and go. Good to continue learning about the value of light, as we are all just painters of light...

No comments:

Post a Comment