Thursday 8 September 2011

Exercise 17: The Users Point of View

The aim of this exercise was to choose spaces designed for a particular activity that is taken from a specific distinctive position and to photograph from that point of view. I had a number of ideas for this exercise but it has been a while in the making and I'm not sure it's yet complete... It was slightly difficult to think of appropriate viewpoints that could be captured in public places without looking strange, though perhaps I should give up on that idea and just accept that I do stand out sometimes with the camera. I have used my point & shoot (Canon Powershot S95) for these examples as it is generally easier to carry around with me and use discreetly.

My first photo idea was to photograph not the car that I drive in (because I hardly ever do) but instead the bike that I ride to and from work. I chose a relatively attractive background and then framed the image to show my view of the handlebars and bike path beyond, just near the Roma St Parklands in Brisbane. As a photograph there are good diagonals in the photo and the lighting interesting.

From Exercise_17
My second photo idea was to photograph the beauty salon that I go to, from the relaxation bed. The view is not particularly interesting and I'm not sure I have conveyed the users point of view particularly well in my photograph.

From Exercise_17
Another idea that I had was to photograph my son on the see-saw. I am sitting on one end and him on the other, so it literally is a users point of view, but it doesn't really fit the brief as it's not a 'space' per se. Nonetheless it conveys something of a users point of view.

From Exercise_17
The final idea was photographed in a cottage, with a view over a table with nice scenery beyond. I have had some challenges in executing the lighting for this image (I didn't have my flash with me so only had on-camera flash and this did not do a very good job of lighting the scene in the diminshing natural light).

From Exercise_17

I feel like I have learnt a lot about _trying_ to see from the users point of view, but I'm yet to successfully capture this with my camera. It's a good lesson though, and now when I am out and about I'm looking for 'users point of view' examples and trying to capture them. I guess that's the whole point of doing these exercises!

No comments:

Post a Comment