Wednesday 4 August 2010

Project 67: Rain

The aim of this (challenging) project was to shoot a magazine cover depicting the subject 'Rain'. I have found this to be quite difficult to execute. I thought of a number of ideas (eg, child in car looking through rainy window imploringly, or raindrops on a window and an interesting/colourful view on the other side), and saw some photos online which I thought were quite interesting. I made a note early on to make my possible photos in the portrait orientation, though cropping later would be an option with some photos. Making the photo interesting and attractive was a real challenge. I decided in the end to take some photographs on a rainy day, and chose closeup images of wet leaves and grasses. They were nicely reflecting and the greens were really varied and lovely. I think my resulting photograph, which I have cropped slightly because the original was quite busy, is attractive and fairly interesting. I have placed the main leaf slightly off-centre, used a shallow DOF and kept the colours mostly in the green tonal range. The water droplets are sharp and reflect the grey sky above. The inclusion of some brown/purple/red foilage adds texture and interest to the photo. The criss-crossing long narrow leave breaks up the photo but I think adds extra interest. Overall I feel the photo is a success and depicts 'rain' effectively.

From Project_67


68mm, f/2.8, 1/1000s, ISO500

No comments:

Post a Comment