Friday 20 August 2010

Project 26: Triangles

This project has been a real challenge. I have found the still life part of this project difficult as I'm just not used to thinking about setting up my photographs, it is something I do _so_ rarely. So it's been a long time in the making. The other real difficulty has been finding an inverted triangle by perspective. In the notes it says 'you may have to think about this one'. I've been thinking and thinking and still have got nowhere. So I'm going to post the rest of the project and just keep thinking in the hope that I find one. Perhaps my friendly blog readers can post a comment to help me out?

Triangles are more dynamic and have a sense of activity compared to rectangles & horizontal/vertical lines. It can be useful therefore to construct triangles in photos, or enhance those that are already present there. In this project there were some specific aims, one of which is still evading me.

Photo 1: Real Triangle in a photograph. This photo was taken in Waverley train station Edinburgh.

From Project_26


70mm, f/2.8, 1/125s, ISO200

Photo 2: Triangle by perspective, converging towards top of frame. This was the easy one, all buildings when photographed from below converge towards the top of the frame. This is taken in Marchmont Edinburgh.

From Project_26


24mm, f/5.6, 1/500s, ISO320

Photo 3: Triangle by perspective, converging towards bottom of frame. I'm still thinking about this one!

Photo 4: 3 people in a group. This photo of was taken on the Isle of Arran, with 3 friends looking out to sea for birds. A distant island is on the horizon.

From Project_26


70mm, f/6.7, 1/500s, ISO200

Photo 5: Still life, apex at top. This small setup is on our fridge, and is made up of shopping list, egg timer and magnets. It was fun to play with different compositions, and the simple triangular setup works well.

From Project_26


50mm, f/3.5, 1/60s, ISO400

Photo 6: Still life, apex at bottom. This is another kitchen setup, this time consisting of the ingredients for a pasta dish. I have arranged the ingredients on our stovetop which provides the plain black setting. The slightly asymmetrical loose triangular setup is more interesting than a random placement of objects.

From Project_26


40mm, f/2.8, 1/45s, ISO500

This project has been slow to finish, partly because of the difficulty of finding the perspective image, but also because I am a bit wary of still lifes! Triangles do make the composition more interesting and I have been using them in my photography since I started this project (October last year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment