Saturday 17 October 2009

Richard Childs Photography Workshop

I went on a one day workshop last weekend, with Richard Childs, a scottish landscape photographer (website here). It was a full day of taking photos, at 4 different locations in Argyll. The group was small (about 7 or 8 people) and we got lots of individual attention. I really enjoyed getting out and taking photos in a group. I realised that I basically have most of the skills I need (not to say I didn't learn anything - I certainly did!) but I really just need to get out myself and spend more time taking photos. Slow time that is, instead of going for a walk with my camera and taking a few snaps. Being slowed down by taking my tripod, film camera, digital and a few lenses, and really taking the time to see a photo, try moving to another spot, taking lots of similar photos (particularly with the way the light changes so rapidly) and really trying to get a great shot. It reinforced the 'slow' photography message for me, which is something I would like to aim towards as opposed to the click and move on type of photography.
I think I took a few good images. Here are 4 that I like.
Autumn Berry
63mm, f/16, 1/2s, ISO100, Tripod

Shades of green
46mm, f/2.8, 1/13s, ISO100, Tripod

Tree Fungi
68mm, f/22, 15s, ISO100, Tripod

Shore grasses
19mm, f/22, 1s, ISO100, Tripod

2 comments:

  1. These are great shots, what a terrific opportunity. You are so right about taking your time - my best landscape shots were when I went out with my tripod, with no distractions and time to think what I was doing. Now I only aim for point and shoot shots when I am out for a walk, especially with company - fatal for photography, unless you have one of those special moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the shades of green one. It makes a lot of sense what you say about slow photography... Something I'd like to practice more often as well.

    ReplyDelete