Wednesday 18 March 2009

Project 13: The Golden Section

We had to think about photos for this project for a while, so it's a compilation of different locations, all trying to find the 'golden section' in a photograph. Here is a link to wikipedia's definition, and a link to a nice simple site which helps you to test our your photos for golden ratios. I also like this short article on the same site with some examples. So we're looking at ratios - the same shape somewhere inside the photograph as the total photograph. As a lover of mathematics myself I find it interesting that there is this defined ratio that can be seen in many artworks that are supposedly undefined and totally creative! I love patterns in all things, and it's something I often search out when I'm forming a photograph. Anyway, all that aside, here are some photographs of mine which have elements of golden ratio, not exact of course.
And since I've been just this minute reading more about golden ratios I'm going to go and shoot some more and will add another post later about it (stay tuned!).

Photo 1: Taken in Spain at Christmas-time.
70mm, 1/80sec, f/16, ISO200

Photo 2: Taken in Madrid city at Christmas-time.
42mm, 1/125sec, f/5.6, ISO400

Photo 3: Taken in Madrid city at Christmas-time.
70mm, 1/125sec, f/11, ISO640

Photo 4: Taken in Madrid city at Christmas-time.
38mm, 1/50sec, f/9, ISO200

Photo 5: On Blackford Hill, Edinburgh, a self-portrait.
27mm, 1/5sec, f/16, ISO100, Tripod

Photo 6: Taken in Munich in a cold-snap in January. Frozen shooting finger!
38mm, 1/40sec, f/5.6, ISO200

Photo 7: Taken in Munich in a cold-snap in January. A monument in the gardens Hofgarten.
24mm, 1/125sec, f/11, ISO100, Tripod

Photo 8: Taken while waiting 45minutes for the tube one morning when it was about minus 20. Not happy but at least I had my camera with me!
42mm, 1/100sec, f/5, ISO200

Photo 9: York, UK.
24mm, 1/15sec, f/10, ISO200, Tripod

Photo 10: York
34mm, 1/50sec, f/13, ISO200, Tripod

... on the lookout for some cool 'golden triangles' and maybe even a 'golden spiral'... be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment